Wednesday 17 June 2015

Backpack back track

On my first Kilimanjaro climb, I carried the suggested day pack which included a lot of things.... The thing is if you don't have the backpack you may need something.  If you do have it you might overfill it...

The suggested day pack inclusions should be as follows:

Hydration Pack
Rain Jacket
Rain Pants
Camera
Snacks
Extra Water Bottle
Medication
Hat
Sunblock
Vaseline

I had a smaller day pack and it was heavy.  So next time I will rather carry a hydration pack and a moon bag.



In the rain forest, I will wear very thin gym clothes that can dry quickly if it rains.  Then I don't have to carry a rain jacket or rain pants on day one. I would rather pay an extra porter who must walk close to me in case I need to take out a full set of clothes.  I will share the porter with my travel buddies so that he can carry a full-size backpack with our extra stuff.

You really don't want to carry a lot of extra stuff.  The walk is tough enough as it is.

I will also not carry a lot of extra snacks... I will make sure I eat a fatty protein breakfast.  I will request a boiled egg to last me until lunch.  I will however still down a bottle of Rehadrat Sport before I start each day.

The moon bag (or fanny pack as some people refer to it) should be big enough for my phone (which doubles as a camera) vaseline, sun block, buff and thin gloves.

I used my hiking poles all the time so there is no need to store them or hook them to a backpack.  On my new hydration pack, there are enough bungee cords to fasten poles if need be...

One is not allowed to take any disposable plastic water bottles up the mountain but find a soft plastic one.  Or maybe a silicone one.



No comments:

Post a Comment